Chadbourn, NC – Columbus County Sheriff’s Office Deputies were dispatched to WR Cribb Drive in Chadbourn in reference to a suspicious vehicle parked in someone’s yard. When deputies arrived, they located a male inside of the reported vehicle. The male provided deputies with a fictitious name. Columbus Central ran the male’s name. Deputies were advised that the male suspect had outstanding warrants. When the male discovered that he was being arrested for the outstanding warrants, he attempted to flee from the arresting deputy. He also struck a deputy during the incident. On-scene deputies located narcotics in the suspect vehicle. Columbus County Sheriff’s Office Vice-Narcotics Unit was contacted for further investigation.
Vice-Narcotics Detectives arrived on scene and thoroughly searched the suspect vehicle. Inside the vehicle, they located a large amount of marijuana, cocaine, unknown tablets, a handgun, a .22 caliber rifle, a 20 gauge sawed off shotgun, live ammunition, digital scales, a grinder, and a large amount of packaging materials. Detectives also located evidence linked to a multi-state investigation.
Vice-Narcotics Detectives learned the suspect’s actual name, Shonte Jarrel Hutchinson, 41 of Tabor City. Hutchinson had numerous active warrants in Stafford County, Virgina.
He was then processed at the Columbus County Law Enforcement Center where he was incarcerated under a $400,000.00 secured bond.
- 1 felony count of Possession of Firearm by a Felon
- 1 felony count of Possession of a Weapon of Mass Destruction
- 1 felony count of Possession with the Intent to Sell and/or Deliver Marijuana
- 1 felony count of Possession with the Intent to Sell and/or Deliver Cocaine
- 2 misdemeanor counts of Resisting a Public Officer
- 1 misdemeanor count of Fictitious Information to an Officer
- 1 misdemeanor count of Assaulting a Government Official